For most people, a home purchase is the investment of a lifetime—which means experiencing a loss and filing an insurance claim can be overwhelming. A public adjuster takes the confusion out of the process, but that convenience does come at a cost. Here, we’ll explain what public adjusters do and when homeowners should consider hiring them.
What Are Public Adjusters?
When a policyholder files a claim, the insurance company assigns a claims adjuster. It’s that person’s job to evaluate the property damage and value the loss based on the owner’s level of coverage. Instead of relying on the insurance company’s decisions, some people hire public insurance adjusters.
Like the adjusters employed by insurance companies, public adjusters assess property damage, determine the need for repairs, and estimate how much it will cost to do the work. There’s a big difference, though; instead of working on a company’s behalf, public adjusters work for homeowners.
When Should Homeowners Hire Public Adjusters?
A public insurance adjuster will handle a claim and work with the insurance company on a client’s behalf. Some property owners believe that, because public adjusters take all the hassle out of the claims process, the expense is justified. Furthermore, public adjusters will examine claims closely, ensuring that no losses are overlooked. Depending on their findings, they may even be able to help clients get larger settlements.
A homeowner should consider hiring a public adjuster if:
- They have a sizable claim with severe damage
- It’s too challenging to work with the insurance company
- They’ve had negative claims experiences
- They live out of state and are too busy to handle the claim themselves
- The settlement offer is too low
It’s relatively easy to find a public adjuster. Begin by visiting the NAPIA (National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters) website, which lists every licensed public adjusting firm and allows users to search by state, city, and ZIP code. Friends, family, neighbors, and online reviews may also provide valuable information.
What Can a Homeowner Expect When Hiring a Public Insurance Adjuster
When a client hires a public adjuster, that person will handle the claims process from start to finish. They’ll come to the site, assess the damage, perform an in-depth review of the claim, calculate a fair payout, and work with the insurance company to process it.
Before accepting an offer, a homeowner has the chance to negotiate with the insurer. If they decide to do it, the public adjuster will work with the insurance company on their behalf. Working with a public insurance adjuster may bring a higher payout, but there are no guarantees.
The Benefits of Hiring a Public Adjuster
The time after a serious loss can be a frightening and confusing one, and a public adjuster can help a client understand the process and get the most money possible while providing benefits such as:
· Policy explanations. Insurance policies are so complex that most homeowners can’t interpret them. Public adjusters, however, can help them understand their options.
· Saving time. Public adjusters manage claims for all sorts of losses, helping homeowners save time that they can devote to other priorities.
· Easier resolutions. Handling a homeowner’s insurance claim is challenging, time-consuming, and confusing. Public adjusters know how to handle claims, process paperwork, and communicate with insurance companies, which will expedite claims.
Learn About the Benefits of Hiring a Public Adjuster
Do you need a public adjuster who can help you get a fair settlement? Let us help. We know how stressful insurance claims are, and we strive to make the process as hassle-free as possible. Contact us today and let our team help you get the settlement your family deserves.