When I first starting building up The Frugal Entrepreneur, I realized pretty early on that a site for bootstrapping entrepreneurs and small business owners would not be complete without a list of frugal business tips and strategies. But at the same time, I didn't want to just offer a series of money saving business tips two sentences long. So instead, I have been busy compiling a list of articles and posts that delve more deeply into each money saving topic.
Currently, there are about 40 articles and posts covering topics that range from saving on gas and keeping health care costs low, to learning how to set healthy limits in business and in life. Most of these posts have appeared on the The Frugal Entrepreneur, and some are guest write-ups for other sites. There are also several contributions from outside authors. The list is very much still a work in progress, so be sure to check back for updates.
Business Start-up and Planning
- Aspiring entrepreneurs can keep their costs low from the beginning by considering the tips and resources in my frugal business startup series
- Use the Internet to conduct free market research for your business.
- Educate yourself about business management and financing basics... for free.
- Learn how to start an online business on a shoe-string budget.
- Learn what baby boomers should consider before they go about starting a business?
- Use the nooks and crannies in your home as your office.
Business Management and Operations
- Learn how to recognize and avoid the mistakes that will cause your business to lose money.
- Find resources to help you buy and sell your business' used electronic equipment and save money.
- How to save on the cost of gas in your small business.
- Learn how to get cheap travel insurance and still get decent coverage.
- Learn how to do your business travel on the cheap, and get some travel resources too.
- Get some tips on how you can save on the cost of your business mailing as well as your shipping expenses.
- If you use social media, don't go into it blindly so you'll get the highest return on your efforts.
- Make your website mobile-friendly with these free tools.
- Learn how to handle the rising cost of commodity prices.
- Hire a qualified accountant and learn how to get the most out of the arrangement.
- Here are four simple accounting tips to improve efficiency and save money.
- Learn how to keep your health care costs to a minimum
- Make your small business look much bigger than it is on a shoe-string budget
- Want to go global without breaking the bank? Check out these 30 tips and resources for international business
- Looking for some cheaper or quicker alternatives to Paypal. Here are 20 Paypal alternatives for small business owners and the self-employed
- Learn how to implement efficient and effective in-house debt collection strategies
- Here are some tips to keep your overhead expenses low (Gary Barzel at FastupFront.com)
- Here is a list of the best free website builders for small businesses (TJ McCue at Small Business Trends)
Marketing and Advertising
- Set up a digital signage system on the cheap.
- Get tips on how to use promotional products to market your business and get the most bang for your buck.
- If you are a part of your local Chamber of Commerce, make sure you take advantage of these free PR opportunities.
Business Employment, Outsourcing, and Contracting
- Recognize the real cost (and benefits) of hiring a permanent employee.
- Look for low-cost ways to motivate your workers when money is tight
- Get the most out of outsourcing work to contracters, consultants, and other businesses.
- Get the most from your temporary employees
- Learn the ins and outs of hiring a good virtual assistant for your business
- Get some tips and resources for setting up a low-cost or free learning management system for employee training or for your customers
Achieving Balance in Work and Life Can Save You Money Too!
- Learn how to balance your business with other commitments. Here is a Moonlighter's Survival Guide, and some tips for multi-taskers who are feeling a bit frazzeled.
- Learn a few habits and tips to help you save for your retirement when you are only earning a little money.
- Learning how to say "no" can help you conserve time, energy, and money.
- Know when to walk away from ineffective business strategies.
- Effective customer service means knowing where to draw the line.