Zuckerberg knows: do what you love.
Mark Zuckerberg is, with room to spare, the poster child for the dream life. He struck big before 22, and his company just kept striking and striking, growing and growing. He’s done the Paris Hilton, private yacht routine. The conventional wisdom with him is that his life is a lot of fun and it’s good to be him Once he wrote the code for Facebook, people may think, the rest has been smooth sailing and reaping the rewards of his dumb luck.
Could it be, though, that Zuckerberg’s decade-long journey (he just turned thirty, by the way) has a certain wisdom to afford. Here are eight of the Zuck’s most inspirational quotes.
1. “Our mission is to make the world more open and connected. We do this by giving people the power to share whatever they want and be connected to whoever they want, no matter where they are.”
2. “Simply put: we don’t build services to make money; we make money to build better services. And we think this is a good way to build something.”
3. “The biggest risk is not taking any risk. In a world that changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks.”
4. “I think a simple rule of business is, if you do the things that are easier first, then you can actually make a lot of progress.”
5. “The companies that work are the ones that people really care about and have a vision for the world so do something you like.”
6. “When you give everyone a voice and give people power, the system usually ends up in a really good place.”
7. “I’m not going to get fired if we have a bad year. Or a bad five years. I don’t have to worry about making things look good if they’re not. I can actually set up the company to create value.”
8. “We look for people who are passionate about something. In a way, it almost doesn’t matter what you’re passionate about. What we really look for when we’re interviewing people is what they’ve shown an initiative to do on their own.”