Sassy, outspoken, and very successful, Barbara Corcoran went from pulling down D’s in college to pulling in M’s—millions—in her professional life. You may know this successful investor from her role on the TV series “Shark Tank.” She’s one of the sharks.
In 1973, having drifted from job to job, Corcoran started, with her boyfriend, a real estate venture called the Corcoran Group. She made red business suits her trademark, piled up money, sold her business, bean writing books and becoming a celebrity, and wound up as a TV shark.
You can’t help but be inspired by a self-made pioneering woman. Here are 8 of the most inspirational quotes to have come from the mind of the shark, Barbara Corcoran.
1. “A complainer is like a Death Eater because there’s a suction of negative energy. You can catch a great attitude from great people.”
2. “I did everything in my power to give my brokers brand identity and clout in the market. I saw my job as parent to build them up and if I took care of them, then they would take care of their customer.”
The difference between successful people and others is how long they spend feeling sorry for themselves.
4. “Whenever I feel stuck, I get up from my desk and go outside. I’ve never had a really creative idea sitting at my desk.”
5. “I built the business exactly the way my mother built and ran her family. I wanted a replication of the big, happy family I grew up in. I wanted happy people having fun.”
6. “I had twenty-two jobs before I started my business…and I didn’t want one more boss telling me what to do.”
7. “People stayed with me and worked extra hard for me because I could see the potential in them—I’m not sure they could see the potential in me.”
8. “The joy is in the getting there. The beginning years of starting your business, the camaraderie when you’re in the pit together, are the best years of your life. So rather than being so focused on when you get big and powerful, if you can just get the juice out of that…don’t miss it.”