Agena is an easy-to-learn procedural programming language designed to be used in scientific, educational, linguistic, and many other applications, including scripting.
Its syntax looks like very simplified Algol 68 with elements taken from Lua and SQL.
The interpreter provides fast real and complex arithmetics, efficient text processing, flexible data structures, intelligent procedures and package management, plus various configuration facilities.
Agena supports all of the common functionality found in imperative languages:
Besides providing these basic operations, it has extended programming features
described later in this manual, such as
- high-speed processing of extended data structures,
- fast string and mathematical operators,
- extended conditionals,
- abridged and extended syntax for loops,
- special variable increment, decrement and deletion statements,
- efficient recursion techniques,
- an arbitrary precision mathematical library,
- a network package to exchange data over the Internet and LANs,
- easy-to-use package handling,
- and much more.